The Hendrik Christian Andersen Museum, along with the Manzù Museum Collection at Ardea, the Museo Praz and the Boncompagni Ludovisi Museum, is associated with the National Gallery of Modern Art.
Restoration work on the building was financed with funding from the Ministry of Cultural Wealth and Activities combined with funds from the National Lottery. As a result the Museum was open to the public on December 19, 1999.
The Museum conserves works by the sculptor and painter, Hendrik Christian Andersen.
Andersen was born in Bergen, Norway, in 1872 to a poor family. When still a child, the family emigrated to the United States to Newport, Rhode Island where he became a naturalized American. The young Andersen traveled to Europe in 1894 and after Paris he settled definitively in Rome where he lived for over forty years. Upon his death, December 19, 1940, he bequeathed to the Italian State his studio-home in via Mancini along with all that it contained: works, furniture, archival material, photographs and books. But it was only after the death in 1978 of Lucia Andersen (adopted in 1919 by the artist's mother and thus beneficiary for the use of the property bequeathed) that the National Gallery of Modern Art was given the management of the collection and the building.
The collected works (over two hundred sculptures of large, medium and small dimension in plaster and in bronze; over two hundred paintings; over three hundred graphic works) are noteworthy for being almost all centered around the utopian idea of a great "World City", destined to be the international headquarters of a perennial laboratory of ideas in the fields of the arts, science, philosophy, religion and physical culture. Towards this project and its diffusion Andersen had dedicated with the French architect Ernest Hébrard a large volume (The Creation of a World Centre of Communication; consultation available at the Museum) which, beginning with the urban conceptions of antique civilizations, intended to indicate the approach to the new, modern "City".